I recently started getting into this band called Fitz and the Tantrums. So after listening to them for a week straight I decided to buy their CD'S off amazon.. Yes.. they still make CD's.
So when I got them I was amazed at the design and artwork on both cover and CD. Each album has it's own theme but still manages to visually represent the type of music they play
The first album reminded me of the old Motown records. I liked the use of simple primary colors and appreciated that they also made the CD look like an old vinyl record. If your give the album a listen, the songs sound like they were inspired by that era.
The second album used even fewer colors yet still gave a retro feel. The black background coupled with the bright blue and red created a sophisticated, almost "london jazz bar " kind of look
Lastly, the 3rd and newest album had more of a modern appeal to it. The use of cool faded blues grey's accented by a muted soft pink gave the album a calming, romantic feel.
The purpose of a CD case is to protect and store the CD however artists are getting more and more creative with the album artwork that they display to represent their music. It's almost like choosing a new book to read. You have no idea what to expect so you decide based off the cover. The same goes for Album artwork and design. It almost convinces you to give the CD a chance if its by any artist you're unfamiliar with. If the CD is by an artist you already like, the artwork only makes you appreciate the band even more for incorporating such captivating imagery to go along with their music. The images and color these CD's display represents perfectly the type of music this band plays; soul indie pop "inspired" by Motown and stax records. As if I couldn't like this band any more for the music they play, I've grown to like them more for the artwork they chose to use.



No comments:
Post a Comment